If you are looking at school for grades 5 through 12, I hope you will consider seriously what you are looking for in a school program as you make your decision. Here are some of the core beliefs that make our school unique:
- We are a school that values hands-on education and we believe that people learn best by doing. We value collaboration more than we do competition and we emphasize the importance of team work. We view education as the development of the ability to interact effectively and successfully with the world beyond the walls of the school.
- We believe that learning is a growth process that requires constant revision and reconsideration of previously completed work. All students at IACS maintain portfolios of their work and are frequently given the opportunity to improve and build on prior assignments.
- Being able to talk about your learning and growth is a key part of your development as a learner. All Innovation students do regular presentations of their work throughout the year for their peers, teachers, parents and community members.
- The arts are integrated into learning at all grade levels. We do this not only for the sake of art itself, but also because we see the value that the concepts of art and design have on other fields.
- Innovation takes the tradition of intellectual rigor seriously and, through our curriculum, we prepare students for success on the state required MCAS tests and the SAT tests. At Innovation you will work harder than you’ve ever worked, but you will have fun doing it and be confident in knowing you will be prepared for the next level of learning when you leave Innovation to attend college.
- At Innovation, we expect all students to perform at a high level and we do not track students into strict levels of classes as we believe all students, if given the right supports and willing to make their best effort, can be successful in a challenging curriculum. In a similar vein, we do not offer advanced placement courses, as we believe that the courses we design provide much better preparation for the rigors of college and life.
- Innovation Academy depends on the support of families as we educate their children. This support starts in the home, with the maintenance of an environment fit for students to complete their homework and get ample rest for the coming school day and the commitment to stay up to date with their student’s grades and reach out to teachers and faculty with any questions or concerns. This support extends to the opportunity to take part in multiple volunteer opportunities at the school, to participate in the Innovation Academy Community Association and or, in some cases, to join the school’s Board of Trustees.
I hope you will take the time to review our website and that you will consider a visit to the school, as this is the best way to get to know our amazing community. Please click here to learn about visiting opportunities.
IACS is a public school for students in grades 5-12. IACS does not discriminate on any basis. Admissions policies adhere to all state and federal regulations including public School Regulation 603CMR 26.00, 603CMR 1.05 and MGL c71/89 which states in part:
Charter schools shall be open to all students on a space available basis and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, ages, ancestry, athletic performance, special needs, and proficiency in English language or academic achievement.